Thursday, August 29, 2013

I have come to the conclusion what sort of people who get on my nerves. It is my misfortune to have met one too many in the workplace. They are the ones who have something to say/question to. every. single. matter. Antagonistic in nature and a deliberate non-conformist, a person such as this seeks pleasure in disagreeing and ‘setting himself apart’ from the ‘masses.’

This person revels in being what he calls ‘Devil’s Advocate.’ Excuse me while I roll my eyes.

This may be necessary in certain circumstances; be it to point out something glaringly wrong or to broaden the perspectives of an issue. BUT to overdo the disagreeing to a personal level is plain rude. Before I get started on that; challenging a workplace opinion is fine by me, unless (as it is often) done without much thought. It simply becomes a nuisance comment when there is no constructive conclusion or helpful suggestions. This creates a round of unnecessary discussion that usually ends up in preserving the original idea anyway.

And now, coming to a personal level. Recently I have taken to bringing lunch to work because I enjoy a homemade, healthier and simpler option and also of course to avoid more communication with said colleague. Conversations that mainly consists of us disagreeing – even though very much cordial and peppered with my fake laughter, is not my idea of a good lunch. I rather watch Hannibal and eat Tofu (which is quite sickening) than lunch with said colleague.

So what really set off this post is because the ‘Devil’s Advocate’ enjoys coming over to my desk before he leaves for lunch and pointing out ‘YOUR LUNCH IS SO SAD.’ Once or twice, is fine, I can take it as small talk (which is sickening). But to do so almost every day and saying that with a very disapproving look? Completely blog post-deserving.

No comments: